Monday, July 26, 2010

Old time footballers

Past kicks
BW July 7, 2010
It is not about skill, talent or celebrity status.
All of that matters of course, but in football, the real thing is about loving the game – loving it from the bottom of your heart. Loving it so much that you play it even when there is something somber and foreboding like a death in the family…you play it even when you are about to get married that same evening…you play it even when you are mercilessly kicked to the ground and trodden over...
You play football even though there is no money in it and you did not have a proper meal that day…you play it even when you do not have proper gear; don’t have a proper playing ground or even a full team…you play it just because you love it.
Just that. No other thought or passion. No big egos or swashbuckling styles. No big speeches or dramatic entries. Just love – pure, unadulterated love -- for a game that has the capacity to enthrall the whole world!
But, how do you play football when there is no money in it?
How do you play football when you haven’t had a proper meal; don’t have proper boots; proper playing ground or even a proper team?
How do you play when you have a rumbling in the stomach and members of your own family are dissuading you against playing?
They will tell you how. Two legendary Omani footballers, both as different as chalk and cheese, but united by one love: football.

Lions of the desert
Mohammed Rashid Al Alawi, 52, and Turma Abdul Hussain Mohammed Al Ajmi, 51, may not turn heads today and school girls are not going to screech and faint just hearing their names and not many are going to chase them for autographs or sign them up as ambassadors to a cause. But, whisper the magic word, ‘football’ and see them metamorphose from a calm and serene state into one of unbridled excitement. What does football mean to them, you ask and then they just go berserk, with words soaked in love, passion and excitement pouring out, so much so, you would think that they were some over enthusiastic live football commentators (who are known to whip up passion with words that you don’t even have to see the match, because they are able to recreate the thrill of a football game with mere words).
The duo were so full of positive energy that one could imagine the amazing spirit of joy and camaraderie they would have built up amongst their football peers during their days.
They also had the capacity to whip up a frenzy among their supporters in their hey days, the duo tell us as they take us back to a fond football lane where the only thing that mattered was playing and winning the game, regardless of the opponent. Money, even trophies and citations, did not matter.

No life without football “When we used to play in club matches, even old men, supported by walking sticks, would come and watch us. Even women used to come. All of them were so passionate and diehard supporters, so much so they would come to near blows while rooting for their heroes,” recalls Mohammed Rashid Al Alawi, currently working as a sports expert at the ministry of sports affairs.
Mohammed Rashid is a picture of excitement. He is thrilled at the prospect of just talking about his glorious past. A huge TV screen on the wall of his living room displays the exploits of the current heroes of the game as Mohammed whisks us back into the past. In that juxtaposition of today and yesterday, this ardent football lover speaks about fond memories of his past.
As most football lovers, he began young, when he was just under 10. “But, I was in Kuwait at that time. We used to play in small groups. Although I came to Oman in the 70s, I kept on going back and forth to the UAE where I was studying. I joined Al Ain club in Abu Dhabi. There were lot of football-loving Omanis in the UAE and we had sort of groups and small clubs where we played football.”
Mohammed spearheaded the game as a striker. “For us, football was pure passion. There was nothing commercial about it. Football was not a business, a promotion and there was no politics in it.
Football was in the player’s heart. Then and now, I don’t think the true player can think of a life without football.”

World Cup at home

Mohammed’s passion remains in spite of his age and lifestyle today. “I was injured and I was forced to quit playing, but, that has not taken my love away from it. Even my family members are equally passionate about the game. My sons play football too.
“Today, with the World Cup around, my home is a virtual World Cup arena. Each member is supporting a team, so it’s like being in the stands, each cheering their favourites.
That is what football does to you. It keeps you going. It moves countries; it is like a common faith. You can see people of all communities joining together to watch a match. Some are crying, some are angry, some, are over the moon! It is as if you are playing the game for them. When you lose it, they lose something.
I feel Holland is doing well in this World Cup. They have a good chance along with Germany to win the cup. Let’s wait and watch. Spain was really lucky too. This cup, it has been a cup of upsets.”

Our football was personal
For Mohammed, playing football is like having a purpose in life. And it was a shared passion among the spectators too. “When I was a young player I had many fans. I come from Sur and whenever there was a match, there will be energetic supporters thumping on the drums, encouraging us. Old people used to come in to watch the match with walking sticks. Our womenfolk would also come down to the stadium to watch us play. “Let me tell you about an incident I hold dear in my heart. I don’t remember the year exactly, but after a match in Sur, where I scored a goal, an excited fan came and hugged me and slipped something into my pocket and whispered, “keep this as a gift from me, it’s for you”. I didn’t realise what it was; later when I checked it out, it was money. I don’t know who he was; all I remember is his smiling, tear-stricken face, beaming with pride and his warm hug. I don’t know him, but he had whispered, "I came all the way from Muscat to see you play. Just for you! That was football in those years. People took it very seriously, very personally; it was matter of pride for them. The whole of Sur used to get united and make every match a festival!”

Proud moments
When asked, Mohammed says the best moment in football was when he got selected to the national team in 1976 and they played in the Gulf Cup in Doha, Qatar. Oman played many matches and did very well, against Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain etc. “I can never forget those days; they are still alive in my memories. But I got injured while playing and then family pressure, especially from my mother, put a full stop to my professional football career. I had a head injury, actually on the forehead near my right eyebrow. It left me nearly blind and incapacitated for several months at a stretch. My ankles were also hurt.
Once I recovered, I continued playing local matches, but left the national team because I could not give my one hundred percent. I went on to become the manager for the national team in 1980. From then on I got in to a career in the sports ministry. I held various responsibilities including being the OFA vice president, director of SQU sports complex, director of sports in Sur. Currently, I am a sports expert with the ministry of sports affairs.”

Special corner
At a special corner in his home, Mohammed has a special picture, which he holds very dear to his heart. As we went to have a closer look, Mohammed quietly said: “Well, I don’t have to tell you who that man is.” He didn’t have to for it was a picture of Mohammed with the King of Football – Pele. “I met him in 1982. I think I must be the only Omani to meet him like this – what a man; what a great footballer!”
The other special picture displayed the rare and precious meeting he had with His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said during one of the National Days. He has also met Pakistan president Zia Ul Haq personally, and many other celebrities and personalities in his football career.

Get the basics right
We parted with several of Mohammed’s words of wisdom ringing in our ears. Mohammed had pointed to the football scene today. The players of today have everything - from professional coaches to the latest gear! So, it is only about getting the basics right. They should start training young and there should also be a dedicated football school. If the foundation of a building is strong and proper, the building will rise high and strong. Similarly, with the right basics and the right professional training, Oman can see many talented footballers in the future.
“In our time, we did not have enough funds even to buy good football studs. We had to find the means ourselves. That is not the case today; you have proper associations, sponsors. Our wise ruler, His Majesty the Sultan, supports the development of sports in this country and the youth should make use of the opportunities well and with responsibility!”

Happiness is football From Mohammed’s home, we drove up to the Seeb Sports Complex to meet another former Omani footballer: Turma Abdul Hussain Mohammed Al Ajmi. He was impatiently waiting for us. We were late, he informed us as he briskly led us to a room. And in his similar vigorous and zesty manner, he unveiled his passion for football, taking us once again to a different football era of Oman.

Dad dies, but football continues
Turma’s love for football is unquestionable; inviolable. He recalls a sad part in his life when his father died. “He died in the morning. But, I had an important match in the afternoon, so, I told my brother to mourn for my dad and with a heavy heart went on to fulfill my commitment for the game and my team. I could not let them down! It was tragic, but, I had no choice. I had to play.
“That was my passion for the game. Nothing could stop me from playing. The day when my father died, I replaced the captain’s band with a black band. We won the game. My father was there behind me, egging me on to win…how could I lose?”

Marriage can wait

On another occasion, rather an important one, where he was to wed in the evening, he went to play a match, again in the afternoon. “Knowing me, everyone told me to stay put in my home. But, my friend helped me sneak out my football gear and then I left home on the pretext of getting a shave before my wedding. As soon as I got out, I ran to the ground and played. My family members were quite livid, but, it did not matter to me,” said Turma, getting animated by the second as he spoke of football.

Football cum hockey star
But Turma was not passionate about football alone. He was equally adept at hockey, which was quite a norm among players then, and in fact, he finally gave up football for hockey. “At that time, I can proudly claim to be the only player who was in both the hockey and football national teams.”
But, all of that ended when a rule, in the early 80’s, came into effect that a player can take up only one sport on the national level and slowly, because of pressure from the hockey front, he finally gave into them. He took up hockey.
“But, my life started with football. I used live, walk, talk, eat football and hockey of course!”
Lack of money, facilities and even proper gear did not deter the players. He recalls how, small hand mirrors, substituted match trophies. And mere slices of lemon served as energy drinks. “But, our love and passion for the game was unmatchable!”

Football at 12
Turma hails from Jibroo. He recalls how he used to walk from Jibroo to Mutrah souq, a near three kilometres stretch every day, just to play football. But walking was not a task at all. As part of his regular training, he used to go on a 15kms stretch. “I never used to go anywhere in cars. I used to walk – that was my style.
“And football, all we needed in those days was a ball. Nothing more, nothing less. We did not want an excuse to play; we wanted an excuse to stop playing. There were many groups, which later merged many times to form the first few clubs of Oman. I played in a team called Jina Shaheen (wings of eagles).
I was 12 when I started playing good football. It was a dream game for me.”

One knee to football, the other to hockey
But, then, like Mohammed, Turma was finally forced to quit both the games because of injuries. Like he laughingly notes: “I hurt both my knees. I gave my right knee to football and the left to hockey – had to two undergo major surgeries then.”
Yet, there is no trace of anger, pain or frustration in him. He is not bitter about injuries putting him out of the games that he loved most.
He still treasures the moment when he first donned the national colours.
“My proudest moment was when I played for the national team in 1974, the first ever Gulf Cup. I was in the left wing position. Locally, I had a good era of football and hockey matches.”
Turma also fondly recalled one of the best strikers of Oman, Khalil Murad. “Khalil was fantastic. I consider him as one of the best!”

World Cup

We also asked for his comments on the World Cup, and he simply called it a phenomenon. “It is as if the whole world is playing. It does not matter if your country is participating. We all take sides and passionately criticise, cry, fight and get excited with the teams. I am sure that just like me all of you out there would be having a favourite team to support. This Cup has been very upsetting for many big teams.
I wish Holland wins, but cannot predict, this year it could be Germany or Spain lifting the Cup!”

Don’t worry, be happy
Turma, who also donned the role of a goalie in club matches, says he has little or no regrets at all about his game.
“Football touches everyone who plays it and makes us open up to each other. And the most important fact is that if you respect the sport or game you chose to play and give it 100 percent, you don’t have to look for happiness – it will find you!”

Real legends
“They were real football legends,” recalls Syed Ali Sibtain Naqvi, technical adviser to the executive director, Muscat Asian Beach Games Organising Committee (MABGOC) speaking about Mohammed Alawi and Turma Al Ajmi.
Naqvi showered great praise on both of them and said that he was not only proud of them, but had great respect for them. “All of us should be proud of them, because they were exceptional players and sporting heroes of that time.
I know both of them personally, interacted with them and had the honour of coaching Turma, but in hockey.”
Naqvi noted how Mohammed slowly evolved from a star player to a respected administrator of the sport, while Turma, starred in both football and hockey.
By Adarsh Madhavan, Priya Arunkumar, Najib Al balushi

2 comments:

  1. We give out loans within the range of $ 10,000 to $ 200,000,000.00 USD at the rate of 3% interest rate.Our loans are well insured and maximum security is our priority; Interested persons can contact us today via email stevendonaldloanfirm36@gmail.com
    Please note that if you are under 18 do not apply, write all your information properly checked with your countries high commission, so make sure you really are applicable to you. BORROWERS INFORMATION 1) Full name:......... 2) Country:......... 3) Address:......... 4) State:......... 5) Gender:......... 6) Marital status:......... 7) Job .......... 8) Phone number:......... 9) Current position instead of work: 10) Monthly Income:......... 11) Loan Amount Requires:......... 12) Loan Duration:......... 12) Did you apply for a loan Before .......... 13) Age ..........

    BEST REGARDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loan offer with the most genuine and honest business and personal loans low interest rate of 2% no collateral required process takes just 1/2 Days. contact us now (WhatsApp) number:+917310847059 sumitihomelend@gmail.com
    Mr. Sumiti

    ReplyDelete